There are many good reasons to file your tax return online, including the fact that it’s:
• Accurate and complete – Filing your tax return digitally is the most-accurate, complete way to file. This means that it’s processed faster, and you get your tax return in your pocket sooner.
• Safe and secure – Software companies and accountants that have the ability to eFile tax returns have met strict security guidelines set forth by the IRS. When you eFile, you can receive notifications from the IRS ensuring that everything was filed correctly.
• Faster refunds – Compared to paper returns, eFiled tax returns are usually processed faster. In addition, you can choose direct deposit and have your refund deposited directly into your bank account.
• It’s easy and free – You can eFile on your own through IRS Free File, the IRS free tax preparation and eFiling service. You can also eFile your taxes using online platforms, many of which offer a free level of service as well as a premium one if you have more-complex filing needs.
* This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.
Tip adapted from IRS.gov