It’s the most wonderful time of the year for online shopping! Buy your holiday gifts with ease with these tips on how to protect your data online:
- • Don’t enter your credit card information if you’re connected to an unsecure Wi-Fi network.
• Only shop at sites that you know and make sure they have an “https://:” URL (the “s” in the URL means that it’s secure).
• Recognize phishing emails, never click on links you don’t know, and report scams that ask for financial information to the IRS.
• Keep your computer and security software up to date.
• Use strong, long, and unique passwords. Use a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters.
• Use multifactor authentication when available. These sites, like email servers and banking websites, will require a code be sent to your phone number to be able to log in.
• Encrypt sensitive data on your computer.
* This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.
Tip adapted from IRS.gov