If you or someone in your family is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, you may be eligible for some important tax benefits. According to the IRS, military families may benefit from:
- Filing deadline extensions if you served in a combat zone or meet other requirements.
- Combat pay exclusions. Some forms of combat pay are not subject to income taxes.
- Expense deductions for moving, transitioning to civilian life, and traveling as a reservist.
- Free tax help on military bases.
For more information about filing taxes as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, consult a tax professional in your area or refer to Publication 3, “Armed Forces’ Tax Guide.”
* This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.
Tip adapted from IRS.gov
 IRS.gov, April 14, 2020.