Tax-related identity theft is when someone uses your personal information to file a fraudulent tax return. They can use information like your Social Security number and other personal details.
Here are some tips to protect yourself:
- Always use security software on your computer, including anti-virus protection.
- Use a strong and unique password for each of your online accounts.
- Look out for spam calls, emails, and texts and report them to the IRS.
- Protect your information and any of your dependents’ info, as well.
Today’s identity criminals are getting more creative, but you can protect yourself by taking these important steps. Always be careful of who you give your information to.
* This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.
Tip adapted from IRS
 IRS.gov, March 4, 2020